Computer Hardware, Network Maintenance & Troubleshooting
The objective of this course is to provide the participant much needed knowledge of computer hardware and networking, enabling them to identify and rectify the onboard computer hardware, software and network related problems in Engine Room Integrated Automation systems and Navigational equipment on Bridge. With the help of this course the participant will be able to understand the hardware specifications that are required to run operating system and various shipboard application programs. Also, upgrading of existing hardware/software as and when required. The main aspect of this program is to eliminate cost for the shore technician boarding the vessel to trouble shoot, install/configure the application program and network related problems and there by charging exorbitant fees to ship owners/managers.
On successful completion of this course a participant shall be able to:
- Understand basic concept & structure of Computer Hardware & Networking Components.
- Identify the existing configuration of the computers & peripherals.
- Upgrading the same as & when required.
- Apply their knowledge about computer peripherals to identify/rectify problems on board.
- Integrate the PC’s into Local Area Network & re-install OS & various shipboard applications.
- Perform routine maintenance, upgrades of virus definitions, set schedules etc.
- Manage data backup & restore operations.
- Analyze &/or troubleshoot communication problems related to Engine Room Automation & various Navigational Bridge Equipment.
Duration: 3 days
Suggest Target Group: All Management and Operational level Deck Officers, Marine Engineers and Electrical Officers.
- What’s Inside your Computer? How does it inter-relate? Computer Peripherals.
- Installations of OS, Service packs, Drivers & Configuring PC for network.
- Installation of Shipboard Software Applications.
- Trouble shooting of Windows OS & Other Shipboard applications.
- How to configure Computer Network? Networking Hardware & Cabling requirements.
- Sharing & Mapping networked drives.
- Scheduling & Managing of routine tasks related to data backup & Anti-virus applications.
- Industrial Hardware & Networking Components in Engine Room Integrated Automation & navigational Equipment.
- Various Protocols: Modbus, Canbus, HART, Foundation Fieldbus, Profibus DP/PA, Profinet, Devicenet, DH485, NMEA0183, TCP/IP - Diagnosis & Repairs
- Electrical Standards – RS232, RS422, RS485, Ethernet CAT5e or CAT6, RJ45 & Fibre Optic - Trouble shooting techniques.
- Introduction to Architecture & Components used by Kongsberg and Honeywell Integrated Automation Systems.