Hazardous material carriage course
- To create an awareness of the dangers involved in carriage of hazardous goods in packaged form, and preventive measures that can be adopted for safeguarding the vessel, its crew, and the environment.
- To provide an understanding of the IMDG Code and 49 CFR, as applicable to the carriage of dangerous goods on Vessels, and their practical application on board.
- To comply with the training requirements set out in STCW ’95 (Section B-V/c), and U.S. Code of Federal Regulations 49 (Part 172.704).
Duration: 1 day (7 hrs)
Suggested Target Group: All Management and Operational level shipboard staff involved in the handling and carriage of dangerous good on board ships.
- Characteristics and hazards of dangerous goods, and regulations governing their transport.
- Classification of dangerous goods ; Proper shipping name and UN number
- Packing, marking, labeling and placarding of dangerous goods and marine pollutants
- Shipping papers, dangerous goods manifest and other documentation
- Stowage and segregation on board
- Transport of dangerous goods in Containers
- Emergency Response Procedure (EmS Guide)
- Medical First Aid Guide (MFAG)
- Special requirements by 49 CFR Part 176
- Exercises on the use of IMDG Code