Last updated: 24/03/2023 00:01:03
Protects regulators and gas cylinders against flashback and burnback from the welding / cutting flame.
Maritime authorities, such as the Norwegian Maritime Directorate, require the installation of flashback arrestors for acetylene and oxygen, as incorrect maintenance or use of gas welding equipment may cause flashbacks of various types.
Normally these will stop in a well designed torch, and are only noticed as a popping sound in the torch. However, faulty handling, maintenance or gas pressure setting may lead to a penetrating flashback. This means that the gas flame passes back through the hose(s). In some cases it may also pass the regulator and ultimately reach the cylinder.
The flashback arrestors supplied by Unitor are designed for use both with gas cylinders and gas outlet stations and incorporate the safety functions in the 'Features' list above.
Primarily, the flashback arrestors having flame filter to quench the flame front of a flashback or a burnback. Secondly, the in-built non-return valve (NRV) prevents reverse flow of gases, thereby preventing a gas mixture from reaching pipelines or cylinders.
Further features for model W-66S and S55:
- Temperature activated cut-off to prevent further gas supply in case of fire (activated if the temperature rises to approx. 100° C)
- Pressure activated cut-off to prevent further gas supply after a flashback (activated by the pressure shock in front of the flashback)
- Indicator lever showing that the pressure activated cut-off has been activated; the lever is also used for resetting the flashback arrestor (W-66S only)
- Indicator ring showing that the pressure activated cut-off has been activated; the ring is also used for resetting the flashback arrestor (S55 only)
Further features for model FR20:
- Shank mounted arrestor with non-return valve (NRV) flashback arrestor set (AC-OX)
- Single use non-resettable
- Safety protection when performing gas welding and cutting activities onboard
- The flashback arrestors model (W-66S and S55) are build Conform to: EN 730/ISO 5175 and with BAM Certification no.: ZBF/009/12
- Compliance with OCIMF SIRE for Tankers and RIGHTSHIP RISQ for Bulkers