Make-A-Wish is a voluntary organisation whose main goal is to fulfill the wishes of all children between 3 and 18 years of age who live with a critical illness. Over the last 40 years, the organization has fulfilled half a million wishes.
These are Make-A-Wish Norway's values:
- Focus on the child – give the child hope, strength, and joy.
- Integrity - their work is based on openness, honesty and respect for the wish recipients, their families and our helpers.
- Unique - delivering life-changing wishes, tailored to each child
- Inspiration - inspired by the joy of life and the courage of the children, as well as the enthusiasm, the imagination, and the creativity of the volunteers in Make-A-Wish Norway.
- Community - The organization is an innovative and diverse group of people who work together in the Make-A-Wish family to fulfill the wishes of as many children as possible.
The effect of a wish:
When a child is affected by a critical illness, their whole life is turned upside down. Both for the child and for their family. A child who has a long-awaited wish fulfilled, will have greater strength, courage and energy to continue to fight against the disease. This gives the family a long-needed break. The fulfillment of a wish gives the family the opportunity to focus on something positive during the period of treatment. It brings the family closer together and also helps to unite the local community around the child.
A wish fulfilled by Make-A-Wish is more than just one dream day or experience, it is a journey.
The child is given the opportunity to participate in the planning of their wish. This power of influence gives the wish an even stronger effect for the child. Therefore, it is important to include the child in the planning from the first day. In the period from the first meeting where the child's wishes are discovered, to the actual day where the wish comes true, Make a Wish provides several surprises and positive experiences. The journey contributes positively as the child has something to anticipate and to cherish.