Panama Canal Transit
Are you ready for the new Panama canal expansions? We are - and we are ready to assist you with our 24/7 Transit Desk.
With the opening of the new Panama locks, the Panama Canal Authorities expects a significant increase of transits with more and bigger ships to enter the canal. The short-term effect on the canal expansion and efficiency is unknown, but to be prepared we have revised our Panama transit service offer to better navigate you through the new canal.
New 24/7 Panama canal transit desk
A dedicated 24/7 transit desk located in Panama is established to to meet the expected demand for quick, reliable and hands-on agency services:
- Knowledgeable and correct advise on booking of slots and time schedules in Panama
- Updates on all relevant information regarding your transit, daily transit prospects and passage
- Act as your eyes and ears in the canal when traffic of 180 000 DWT vessels starts picking up
- Quickly assess and answer any type of question related to costs, time and safety – at all times!
The dedicated desk is managed by our local experts who hold a strong operational and commercial backgrounds combined with:
- Deep knowledge about technical specifications and requirements for all ship types
- Solid relations with all local stakeholders such as Panama Canal Authorities, local port authorities, police and/or security companies,
- Good command in English
Wilhelmsen has one of strongest governance values in the industry in order to keep your business in compliance and all transit desk specialists are frequently quality-checked with firm training.
We offer the following services for the Panama Canal:
- Husbandry services keeping your crew safe and costs down
- Meet & greet and arrange all crew changes before or after transit
- DA within 25 days
- Excellent WSS cleaning chemicals and products at both ends of the canal
Choosing the right partner for your canal transits globally can save you thousands of dollars in time and administration costs. Wilhelmsen Ships Service operates the world’s largest maritime services network, with 4,500 marine professionals servicing 2,200 ports in 125 countries, guaranteeing an exclusive service experience for your port calls anywhere, anytime.
Did you know?
The new Panama canal use tugs instead of the traditional locomotive to effectively transit Neo-Panamax ships through the new locks. Operationally it’s a more effective system with stronger machinery for the bigger ships and this video shows a perfect example of how three tugboats help co-ordinate a container ship through the canal. Since 2013, the Panama Canal Authorities has announced new requirements for chocks and bitts on the vessel for the new tug system to be fully working. For more info on ship requirements and the operation of tugs, please contact our Panama Transit Desk at email@example.com
In the news
Press release |
Wilhelmsen Ships Service launches canal transit offer and signs Avance Gas neo-panamax vessels for opening of new Panama Canal
Wilhelmsen Ships Service (WSS) is moving to ensure that its customers’ vessels pass through the new Panama and Suez Canals with the optimum efficiency, speed and safety thanks to a fresh Ships Agency ‘canal transit’ solution.
With offices in 75 countries supporting our non-stop operations in 2 200 port locations across the globe, you can be assured that we have the local knowledge and industry expertise to find the best solution to cater for your needs.Get advice from our local agents