Engine room simulator course - management level
This programme is developed to impart and hone the maintenance and watch keeping ability of Marine Engineers who are aspiring to excel in their profession at the Management level. The Propulsion Plant Trainer is equipped with three different modern models of Main Engine viz. B&W (LMC), Sulzer (RTA) and Pielstick fitted in UMS Class Engine Room.
The participants are exposed to the latest sophisticated equipment. The Engine Room systems are started and operated in a systematic manner, in accordance with laid down procedures and safety guidelines.
Theory lectures are developed based on operational procedures and are followed up by practical exercises on the simulator. Candidates are then able to monitor the changes in various parameters in the Engine room. Much exposure is provided in the area of identification of faults and subsequent troubleshooting of the same.
Course Objective: On completion of the course, the participant will
- Be familiar with the use of instruments and parameters used in Engine Room of modern merchant ships
- Develop greater awareness of proper pre-planning and the use of checklist of the time scales involved start up procedures
- Develop a greater understanding and awareness of correct watch keeping procedures
- Have an understanding of interdependency of various machinery
- Obtain experience in identifying operational problems and trouble shooting them
- Improve on their decision-making abilities with respect to safety and efficient plant operation.
- Make a safer and more effective contribution to the operation of vessel's machinery installation.
- Be able to analyze the changes in various parameters and effectively take necessary action to restore normalcy.
Duration: 5 days
Suggested Target Group: It is a mandatory course for all Engineers who are planning to appear for MEO Class II Examination of Marine Engineers.
- Familiarization with the Norcontrol Simulator and all associated Automation panels such as power chief (Generator Control), Auto Chief Main Engine Control and Data Chief etc.
- Familiarization with Engine Room systems and sub systems.
- Starting up procedures of various systems in the Engine Room with proper procedures and safety guidelines.
- Electric power generation and distribution system on board the ship. Parallel operation and load sharing of Aux. Engine in different modes.
- Starting of the Main Engine from Emergency control stand, Control Room and Bridge. Auto Chief control for the Main Engine-the speed setting signal flow from fuel lever to Governor and various inbuilt load/speed limiting programmes viz. torque limit, thermal index, scavenge air pressure limiter, critical RPM and settings and various slow down/shut down safety parameters.
- Description of shaft generator, operation and working. Familiarization of the “power take off” and “power take in” mode and settings available in the PTI mode-demonstration of above on simulator. Operation of shaft generator in “power take in” mode with surplus electrical power available.
- “Scenarios” - which comprise of the injection of malfunctions at predetermined intervals into the Engine Room various system and participants response / action discussed on completion of the Scenario.
- Study of indicator cards at times of Cylinder malfunction-injection of various faults such as early / late timing, Leaky fuel injector/Exhaust valves, crack liner, worn out /broken piston rings and comparing with normal condition. The effect of various malfunctions over power produced and fuel consumption. Change of Fuel quality setting with variation in specific gravity of HFO used and it's effect on Main Engine Parameters.
- Explanation of Hydraulic governor working principle, Effect of varying droop settings on Governor. Demonstration of droop setting alteration on Simulator and setting of the Governor compensation.
- Explanation of basic controller working principle. Operating principle of Proportional, Integral and Derivative controls in a PID Controller. Tuning of PID Controller using Ziegler Nicholos method. Carry out the exercise on tuning on various controllers installed in Simulator.
These courses are approved by D. G. S. (Govt. of India)