In existing times of reduced manning on board vessels, with increasing challenges to maintain all equipment and under tight schedules, it is crucial that ship staff be equipped with the requisite hotwork skills to be able to carry out safe, efficient and quick repair and maintenance of cracked, damaged or leaking plates and pipes.
This programme is designed for Ships Fitters, Pumpmen, Repair team members and also Marine Engineers to fully acquaint them with the relevant safety precautions to be observed, the requisite knowledge of the various welding equipment and processes, proper electrode and welding parameters selection and the practical skills to efficiently execute various repair jobs on plates and pipes of various materials in various positions.
Each participant would have a welding station assigned to him for the practical sessions during the course.
The IMTC – UNITOR Welding School has been set up in collaboration with Wilhelmsen Ships Service and the courses are UNITOR approved. The faculty, expert welders and instructors in their own right, have undergone training with Wilhelmsen Ships Service welding specialists, to further enhance their abilities.
Course Objectives :
Upon completion of this course, the participant will:
- Be able to recognize the dangers and observe the relevant safety precautions while performing / supervising hotwork.
- Understand the differences and working principles of the various welding equipment on board.
- Acquire the knowledge of correct welding rod selection and parameter settings based on the material to be welded.
- Acquire the skill to make quality weld joints on ferrous metals upto 4G position.
- Acquire the skill to be able to weld non-ferrous metals such as Stainless Steel, Cast Iron and Aluminium.
Course Duration : 10 days
Suggested target group :
Marine Engineers, Fitters, Pumpmen, Repair team members and any other ranks as per clients requirements.
Course contents :
- Safety precautions in gas and arc welding.
- Introduction to gas and arc welding equipment and accessories.
- Introduction to gas and arc welding processes.
- Selection, care, storage and handling of electrodes / filler rods and other hotwork equipment.
- Various welding techniques.
- Various defects in welding – how to recognize them, causes and remedies.
- Extensive hands on practical exercises in electric and gas welding / brazing of plates and pipes in various positions upto 4G level.
- Extensive hands on practical exercises in electric and gas welding / brazing / silver brazing of various non-ferrous metals.
- Hands on practical exercises in electric arc gouging and gas cutting.