This course provides the participants a thorough understanding of the S.M.S., with special emphasis on operational procedures, ‘continual improvement’ elements, and the audit processes. It includes an extensive workshop on the use of Company-specific shipboard documentation, including the electronic application, if used.
The Course can be customized for any Company, using their S.M.S documentation.
- To understand the concept of Quality Management per ISO 9001:2008 Q.M.S.
- To review the ISM Code and its compliance through the Safety Management System
- To gain a thorough understanding of and familiarity with Company policies and procedures and the shipboard
documentation of the Company’s S.M.S., including the use of electronic applications (DocMap) for shipboard S.M.S.
- To make useful contribution to the ‘continuous improvement’ of the S.M.S. through system reviews, non-conformity reporting, and the audit processes.
- To be updated with the Company’s organization structure, the roles and responsibilities of key persons, in particular the DPA.
Duration: 3 Days
Suggested Target Group:
All Management and Operational level staff on board
- Update on the Company’s organization structure, and its key personnel.
- Quality Management and the ISO 9001:2008 QMS.
- Co-relation between Quality Management and Safety Management Systems.
- Structure of a Safety Management System ; Familiarization with the ‘Governing Documents’ Module of DocMap.
- Company Policies, Vision and Mission Statements.
- The Designated Person – role and responsibility.
- Procedural requirements for key shipboard operations.
- Shipboard review of SMS - process and follow-up.
- Non-conformity reporting process and follow-up. Exercise on Non-conformity reporting, using the ‘Observation Module’ of DocMap.
- Handling of internal and external audit processes; Following up on audit findings; Exercise on ‘corrective action’.
- Effective use of the COMPAS Work and Rest Hours onboard module.
- Familiarization with the Company’s S.M.S. through a workshop on the use of shipboard documentation, including Company forms and checklists, using DocMap.