This course provides the participants a thorough understanding of the S.M.S., with special emphasis on operational procedures, ‘continual improvement’ elements, and the audit processes. It includes an extensive workshop on the use of Company-specific shipboard documentation.
The Course can be customized for any Company, using their S.M.S documentation.
- To review the ISM Code and co-relate the implementation of the S.M.S. with ISM Code compliance
- To understand the structure of an S.M.S., with special attention to procedures for key shipboard operations
- To make useful contribution to the 'continuous improvement' of the S.M.S. through system reviews and non-conformity reporting.
- To be able to deal with external Auditors, Inspectors, etc., and ensure smooth and successful conclusion of audits, with effective follow-up
- To become thoroughly familiar with the Company's organization structure and shipboard documentation of the Company's S.M.S.
Duration: 2 Days
Suggested Target Group:
All Management and Operational level staff on board
- Understanding of 'Risk' and related terminology
- Review of the salient features of the ISM Code
- Requirements and structure of a Safety Management System
- Procedural requirements for key shipboard operations; Exercise in procedure making through process-mapping.
- Appreciation of the instruments for 'continuous improvement' of the system; Exercise in non-conformity reporting.
- Handling of the audit process and dealing with auditors and inspectors; Following up on audit findings; Exercise on 'corrective action'.
- Update on the Company's organization structure, its key personnel, and service offerings.
- Familiarization with the Company's S.M.S. through a workshop on the use of shipboard documentation, including Company forms and checklists.