» Click here to download the nomination form
Management Development for the maritime sector
Shipping plays a vital role in facilitating international trade and thus has a major impact on global economic growth. Yet, shipping remains essentially a service industry, which is characterized by heavy competition and boom-or-bust cycles. In such a business environment, the competitive advantage for any organization is its workforce. Sustained profitability, as indeed the very survival of a Company, well rests on the competency of its Managers.
The capabilities of the managerial cadre thus become a matter of paramount importance. Management positions are often held by persons highly qualified and skilled functionally, but they may or may not have the advantage of formal management exposure. There also is the scope of acquiring a sharpened focus to cope with hectic work schedules and meeting of deadlines, which can boost managerial effectiveness in the long run.
Management Development Programmes (MDPs) provide an opportunity for Managers to enhance their managerial competencies. Sharpening of analytical skills, having a wider and more objective view of the working environment, and improved judgement and decision-making are the ‘take-aways’ of these programmes. A high level of customization of an MDP for the maritime industry allows direct application of the learning.
These are the unique features of the Programme “General Management for Shipping”, which makes it an ideal vehicle for management development in the maritime sector.
The PROGRAMME : “GENERAL MANAGEMENT FOR SHIPPING”
The Indian Maritime University (IMU) is a pioneering Central University which has subsumed in itself seven legacy maritime institutions. The International Maritime Training Centre (IMTC) is a leading provider of top-end maritime training. IMU and IMTC share a common philosophy of marrying concepts with practice.
The Programme “General Management for Shipping” has received world-wide acclaim for its richness of content and quality. The programme has a rich legacy, dating back to 1992, when the Vasant J. Sheth Memorial Foundation initated the development of a "Shipping Management" Programme at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA). The programme material during the initial stages was developed largely with the support and cooperation of the Great Eastern Shipping Company Ltd., and Foresight Ltd., UK. The Programme evolved further after the IIMA-IMTC collaboration took effect in 1999. The current version is enriched by IMU's strong maritime training tradition.
Over 600 Managers from a wide cross-section of the maritime industry have benefited from the programme which has been continuously offered at least once a year since 1993.
Objectives of the programme:
This Programme aims at providing to the participants :
- To develop an understanding of the core general management concepts and their application in an integrated manner in the maritime industry.
- To enhance decision making skills by analyzing situations and developing a strategic perspective.
- To provide an opportunity to develop a broader understanding of the industry through (i) an exposure to its different sectors and (ii) interaction with personnel from other shipping-related organizations.
Contents of the Programme :
- The Shipping Environment & Management.
- People / Human Resource Management: Managing Performance, Conflict resolution, Change management, Negotation, Leadership and Teamwork.
- Finance Management: Financial Accounting, Investment Analysis, Financial Risk Management.
- Knowledge Management: Role of IT in Shipping, Management Information Systems.
- Operations Management: Managing Projects, Process improvement, Vessel Fixtures, etc.
- Logistics Management: Understanding the customer's supply chain and the role of shipping and Ports.
- Marketing Management: Core Elements of services Marketing, Marketing Strategy.
- Managerial Communications: Business presentations, Public Address.
- Strategic Management: Competitive Strategy, Business Policy.
- Stress Management and Self Development
Who can attend this Programme?
Personnel in the upper or middle management cadre, ashore & afloat, working in :
- Ship Owning and/or Operating Companies
- Shipping Agencies / Freight Forwarding / CHA's
- Banks and Ship Financing Institutions
- Regulatory Bodies / Classification Societies / Surveying Firms
- Chartering and Brokering Companies
- Marine Insurance Companies
- Ship Management & Manning Companies
- Maritime Training Institutions
- Commercial Management Companies
- Ports and Maritime Infrastructure Firms
- Offshore Services
- Shipyards and Ship Repair Firms
- Consultancy Firms / IT services
- Any other organizations having or intending to have an association with the maritime industry
Programme Faculty: Programme faculty will be from IMU, IMTC, IIMA and industry.
Program Fee & Nominations:
The Programme fee (inclusive of service tax) will be Rs. 55,000 for Indain residents and USD 1200 for foreigners/NRIs. The fee includes boarding and lodging.
Nomination forms for the programme may be downloaded from IMU's website www.imu.tn.nic.in. Nominations may be submitted via e-mail or fax to Mr. G. Venkata Ramanan at IMU Chennai (email: email@example.com; Tel +91-44-24530341; Fax : +91-44-24530342). Please book early as seats are limited. Payment of the programme fee should be made along with nominations. The Payment can be made by a Demand Draft in favor of "Indian Maritime University" payable at Chennai. The fees can also be remitted via wire transfer as per details below:
| Beneficiary : Indian Maritime University, Chennai
||Bank A/C No. : 30731361622|
|Bank Name : State Bank of India
||SWIFT Code : SBININBB291|
|Bank Address : East Coast Road, Uthandi,
Chennai - 600119.
| IFSC CODE : SBIN0011771|
|The Last date for nominations or cancellations will be Friday, 18th February, 2013.|
Programme schedule, venue and accomodation
The progamme will commence at 1300 Hrs on Sunday, 3rd March, 2013 and end at 1700 Hrs on 9th March, 2013. The curriculum of the programme necessitates that it be fully residential, as sessions will go on till late evenings. The venue will be IMU Mumbai campus (T S Chankya) which provides a calm and peaceful environment conducive to learning. Accommodation will be provided on single ocupancy basis in well-appointed air-conditioned rooms. The driving distance from Mumbai airport to T S Chanakya at Navi Mumbai, is around 30 Kms. Travelling time could be up to 90 minutes depending on traffic. Participants may please contact Ms. Jyoti Ingle at IMU Mumbai (email : firstname.lastname@example.org
; Tel : +91-22-27701935/3876 (Ext 263); Mob: +91-9970147852) for directions and local logistics.