Covering advanced aspects of shipboard electrical knowledge, this workshop, conducted in a dedicated laboratory, provides theoretical information, intensive hands-on training and group discussions leading to improvement in competence and confidence in handling and troubleshooting electrical equipment.
The participant is exposed to intensive practical training, both, in actually wiring up several types of starters and also in troubleshooting faults induced in them.
Extensive tracing of various different types of electrical circuits of shipboard machinery is carried out. This helps the participant to gain confidence in his ability to trace complex circuits.
Practice on a fully equipped and functional Boiler control panel further develops his ability to trace circuits, locate and rectify faults induced therein.
To enable the participants to:
- understand the fundamental concepts of electrical technology.
- recognize component symbols and their construction, functioning and applications.
- identify symbols, trace and analyze circuit diagrams and troubleshoot electric systems logically.
- learn through sharing of experiences amongst participants.
Duration: 6 days
Suggested Target Group:
Marine Engineers & Electrical Officers.
- A.C. Fundamentals (Revision)
- Generator construction
- Generation of power and parallel operation of generators
- Layout of M.S.B. and E.S.B.'s
- Air Circuit Breaker -safeties and maintenance
- Motors -types, construction and characteristics
- Starters -DOL and reduced voltage starters, symbols and maintenance
- Secondary batteries -maintenance
- Hazardous zones
- Cathodic protection
- Tracing various shipboard electrical circuit diagrams
- Project writing by participants
- Measuring Instruments -multimeter, tong tester, Megger etc.
- Study of various electrical equipment -contactors, relays, timers etc.
- Wiring up different types of starters with timers.
- Troubleshooting on different types of starters-DOL / star-delta / reversible /auto change-over etc.
- Testing of diodes, transistors, capacitors etc.
- Troubleshooting on Boiler control panel