SHIP ENERGY EFFICIENCY MANAGEMENT PLAN
SEEMP identifies several measures that must be put into place, which are aimed at achieving increased levels of safety and fuel efficient operations while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Reduction in fuel oil consumption also results in improved bottom line for ship operators as fuel forms a major part of ship’s operational expenses.
This course is designed to improve the participant’s understanding of the regulatory requirements. It makes him aware of the responsibility towards preserving the environment and encourages him to think of various measures that can be put in place to improve energy efficiency and reduce pollution. The participant gains confidence in working together with the shore management to identify and prioritize measures that will improve energy efficiency.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will:
• Understand the impact on the environment of release of greenhouse gases from ships.
• Acquire knowledge in MARPOL Annex VI, 2012 amendments & understand greenhouse gas
• Understand the terms EEDI, SEEMP and EEOI and clearly distinguish the regulatory
requirements for new ships and existing ships.
• Understand the framework and structure of the Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan.
• Acquire guidance on best practices for fuel efficient operation of ships.
• Make use of the knowledge gained to calculate EEOI from the voyage data given.
• Be aware of various measures other than operational measures to reduce fuel consumption.
Duration: Two days
Suggested Target Group:
All Navigating and Engineer officers and any other ranks as per client’s
- Introduction to IMO – MARPOL.
- Introduction to various air pollutants from shipping industry and the history of efforts to reduce air pollution.
- Greenhouse effect and impact of release of green house gases on the environment.
- Latest amendments to MARPOL Annex VI and it’s impact on New and Existing ships.
- EEDI (Energy Efficiency Design Index) requirements – SEEMP (Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan) requirements and Issuance of IEEC (International Energy Efficiency Certificate)
- SEEMP details – Framework, Structure and Monitoring of performance, (EEOI – Energy Efficiency Operational Index).
- Various ship board energy efficiency improvement measures and ways of implementing the same.
- Exercise on calculation of EEOI from given voyage data.
- Group exercise on achieving a preset target of fuel consumption reduction on board vessel by optimized ship handling and fuel efficient operations.