Marine environment protection training - MARPOL / OPA 90
Each pollution incident brings about harsher regulatory requirements to comply with. As responsible professionals, every seafarer needs to rise to the occasion to prevent and mitigate incidents.
The course is designed to help the community of seafarers to be updated with the latest regulatory demands. It lays emphasis on the correct methods to meet the requirements and prevent abuse of the environment.
The use of practical session on the oily water separator and desktop exercises, and experience sharing brings about a total coverage to the issue of marine pollution. The course also details procedures in the eventuality of a pollution related mishap occurring on board a ship.
Course Objective: Upon completion of the course the participant will be able to:
- Understand and be updated with the latest regulatory requirements of
MARPOL, OPA 90 and other IMO conventions for pollution prevention.
- Understand and follow best management practices for Bilge Water
Management and Sludge Management.
- Follow the correct method of filing up Oil Record Book, Garbage Record Book.
- Understand and follow Garbage Management and Volatile Organic Compounds Management plans.
- Understand emission control requirements in special areas (ECA and other areas)
- Understand energy efficiency requirements (SEEMP and EEDI) and optimize various shipboard operations to reduce carbon emissions and fuel consumption.
- Carry out the reporting procedures and ways to minimize the outflow of oil as per SOPEP and VRP.
Duration: 4 days
Suggested Target Group: All rank officers
- MARPOL Annexes
- Latest amendments to MARPOL
- Annex 1 discharge criteria exercise
- Bilge and Sludge management
- Oily water Separator (Theory and practicals)
- Oil Record Book exercise
- Introduction to Energy Efficiency management
- SOPEP, OPA 90 and Vessel Response Plan and VGP
- Waste Management Planning
- Antifouling systems
- Ballast Water Management