Explosion protection course
This course is designed to impart knowledge in Ex electrical fittings and systems, as found on tankers and gas carriers.
The participants are exposed to various aspects and construction of different types of Ex. Equipment, Zoning of hazardous areas, explosion theory, classification and properties of gases, Ex. Protection methods, maintenance of Ex.
Components, Certification and IEC notifications and guidelines. Practical sessions on various types of Ex. Equipment viz. motors, light fittings, junction boxes, glands, zener barriers etc.
Course Objective: To enable the Participants to :
- understand the classification of Hazardous zones.
- basics of an explosion, LEl / UEL, Ignition sources, Flash points, Gas tables, Properties of gases and Gas grouping.
- protection methods of Ex. components / Equipment, markings and interpretation.
- intrinsically safe equipment and safety barriers.
- Bonding / Earthing of equipment and Certification.
Duration: 2 days
Suggested Target Group: All Deck Officers, Engineers & Electrical Officers working on tankers & gas carriers
- International/ national regulation / standards on vessels
- Introduction to hazardous areas
- Explosion theory
- Properties of gases I liquids / solvents (LNG/LPG)
- Flash point, ignition temp, explosion limits LEl-UEL
- Density, gas groups and Temp. class
- Ignition sources, electrical arc, mechanical sparks, hot surface and static electricity. (ESD)
- Classification of hazardous areas (Zones)
- Methods of protection Ex d, Ex e, Ex p, Ex q, Ex 0, Ex ia, Ex ib, Ex m, Ex n, Ex s. . Certification / marking of Ex-equipment
- Ex-motors with protections devices Ex d, Ex e, Ex n, Ex p
- Earthing and bonding hazardous areas
- Power system in hazardous areas
- Intrinsically safe systems / instrumentation
- Zenerbarrierer, isolators
- Certification control of Ex loops
- Ignition graphs ohm/inductive / capacitve
- Gas detection sensors and meters / work permits
- Maintenance / repair of Ex-equipment
During the course there will be practical demonstration of Ex-equipments.