1230 clean agent system
The Unitor 1230 system has been industralised and adjusted for the offshore and maritime industry based on the Novec 1230 system. It is designed as a total flooding system for machinery spaces, pump rooms, compressor rooms and control rooms. The solution is particulary suited for rooms with sensitive equipment and vessels where space is limited.
- Large nozzle coverage designed specifically for the offshore and marine industry, with a unique nozzle discharge pattern
- With the system's stored pressure of 34.5 bar, existing piping arrangements can be utilised for Halon retrofits
- Extinguishing fluid used has no environmental impact
A cost effective solution
- Designed for optimal system performance
- The system has small dimensions, saving installation space and weight
- Minimal and easy maintenance keeps operational cost low
Where can the system be used?
- Machinery spaces Category A
- Cargo pump rooms
- Paint and flammable liquid lockers
- Control rooms
- Switch board rooms
- Any spaces needing fire protection (also possible for inerting spaces)
- Cargo compressor rooms on gas tankers
The system is applicable where space is a premium, and can protect high/low voltage switchboard rooms and computer service installations.
System description and configuration
The Unitor 1230 system uses Novec 1230 fluid developed by 3M. The fluid is stored in steel cylinders, pressurised with nitrogen to 34.5 bar at 21℃. The cylinder valve outlets are connected to distribution pipes with discharge nozzles via flexible hoses.
The cylinder valve assembly can be equipped with a supervisory pressure switch connection for monitoring cylinder pressure, a pressure gauge and a safety burst disc. The valves can be activated electrically, pneumatically or manually.
Installations can be flexible depending on storage accessibility:
- Cylinders can be located in a centrally stored bank outside the protected space
- Distribution valves and piping are provided for each space
- Cylinders can be evenly located inside or adjacent to the protected space
- Duplicated release lines connecting the cylinders are required
Extinguishing fires using Novec 1230
The Unitor 1230 system uses Novec 1230 which is stored as fluid and dischared as gas. The system extinguishes fire by removing the heat from the fire while it absorb the heat at its low boiling temperature.
A low design concentration of 4 to 6% in combination with a high No Observable Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) of 10% gives a safety margin of up to 100%. The US EPA Significant New Alternatives Program (SNAP) classifies Novec 1230 fluid as acceptable for use as a total flooding agent in occupied spaces.
Environmental properties comparison
The below table compares Novec 1230 fluid with other gaseous fire extinguishing agents in the market:
|Properties||Novec 1230||Halon 1211||Halon 1301||HFC-227ea (FM-200)||HFC-236fa||HCFC Blend B|
|Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP)||0.0||4.0||12.0||0.0||0.0||0.014|
|Global Warming Potential-IPCC 20011||1||13002||69002||3500||9400||1203|
|Atmospheric Lifetime (years)||0.014||11.0||65||33||220.0||1.4|
|SNAP (Yes/No)||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes/ Phase-out|
1 IPCC Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Method 100 Year (ITH)
2 Global Warming Potential 1998 WMO Method 100 Year (ITH)
3 Data based on HCFC-123 only – also contains CF4
The Unitor XFlow® water mist system gives you the opportunity to integrate local and full fire protection in a single system. The solution can be applied as a total flooding system, local application fire fighting system and for accommodation areas.
The Unitor Inergen® system is a fire extinguishing solution for enclosed spaces. Inergen® is a clean agent consisting of only atmospheric gases and can be applied on merchant marine and offshore structures.
The Unitor high expansion foam fire extinguishing system (Unitor high foam system) uses foam consisting of a synthetic foam concentrate, water and air, which is highly effective for machinery space applications. The system is designed as total flooding system for machinery spaces of Category A, cargo pump rooms and other enclosed spaces onboard vessels and offshore installations.
The Unitor CO₂ system is a total flooding system designed to suppress fires in machinery spaces of Category A, engine rooms, pump rooms and cargo holds. It has been supplied to hundreds of vessels and offshore installations worldwide.